Making a Difference
NICRO projects and programmes encourage people to move from being victims of circumstance to creators of opportunity.
NICRO is unique. An outright leader in its field, with approximately 185 staff and close to 600 volunteers offering services in all nine provinces, it is the only national non-government organisation providing comprehensive crime prevention services throughout South Africa. NICRO’s four national programmes are offered by dynamic teams in urban, peri-urban and rural areas.
The policies of restorative justice (restoring the balance affected by crime) and people-centred development guide all services. NICRO is committed to achieving its vision of a safer country where the fear of crime and violence no longer governs, a country where people are able to live safely in their homes and move freely around their neighbourhoods. It is our firm belief that, together with the people of South Africa, we can realise our dream of a nation united in safety, mutual respect, dignity and compassion.
NICRO has been called upon to ensure wise and mature action to achieve this dream. Something IS being done, and it works.
NICRO projects challenge offenders to take responsibility for their actions, support victims of crime, assist in small business development and offer the opportunity for constructive rather than destructive living. NICRO's high success rates bear testimony to the impact of the work.
View Prison Art
NICRO is a national crime prevention non-profit organization working towards a safer South Africa. The offender reintegration,community victim support ,diversion and youth development and the economic opportunities projects offer varied ways of achieving our dream of a safer South Africa.
The services are offered in all nine provinces.
NICRO offers a micro-loan scheme, NICRO Enterprise Finance, to those wanting to start their own businesses in conjunction with training services offered through the economic opportunities project.
The annual NICRO Community Safety Awards honour those ordinary citizens who undertake extraordinary work towards a safer South Africa. The annual NICRO Creative Arts Awards for Prison Art offer prisoners a chance to show their creative potential (the art on this website is prison art), and the Esther Lategan Study Bursary for prisoners encourages further study in prison, and the Esther Lategan Study Bursary for children of prisoners assists those children to continue with school.
View Prison Art
* NICRO encourages people to take 100% responsibility for their actions
* NICRO challenges those who do wrong to repair the damage as far as possible
* NICRO encourages Victims to become Victors
* NICRO bases its programmes on people-centred development and restorative justice
* NICRO focuses on under-resourced areas
* NICRO sees thousands of success stories and know that people - even those who have faced the toughest of lives - can succeed
* We are moved by the goodwill of individuals, groups and communities and need to harness this to work towards our vision of a safer South Africa for all
* We have witnessed the rebuilding of whole communities through community safety work and volunteerism
NICRO challenges South Africans who complain about crime to put that time to more use and assist us and others working towards a safer South Africa. You could do this in many ways, but if you can help NICRO, please do.