Global medical technology company Medtronic has published its 2010 Corporate Citizenship report, Innovating for a Better World, at: http://www.reportalert.info/ra/profiles/Medtronic/2010/?ID=32954
The report provides a comprehensive review of the company’s commitment to global economic, social, and environmental stewardship. The company is advancing its citizenship in four key areas: Global Leadership in Addressing Chronic Disease; Collaborative Culture of Innovation; Total Employee Engagement; and Progressive Environmental Stewardship.
The report highlights key fiscal year 2010 initiatives and accomplishments:
Global Leadership in Addressing Chronic Disease
- Launch of pilot programs to expand access to cardiac therapy to patients in India.
- Launch of the Every Patient First initiative to eliminate healthcare disparity impacts in the United States.
- Total philanthropic contributions of $75.6 million to support health, education and community initiatives that address noncommunicable, chronic disease around the world.
Collaborative Culture of Innovation
- Launch of a Physician Registry, which discloses payments made to healthcare professionals for royalties and consulting services.
- $1.5 billion investment in research and development, with 20 percent designated for new patient populations.
Total Employee Engagement
- Launch of Medtronic University, an online education portal for employees worldwide.
- Reductions in the number of employees who smoke or are at-risk for cholesterol or glucose since the launch of our Total Health program.
Progressive Environmental Stewardship
- Reductions in air emissions, regulated waste, volatile organic compound emissions, energy use, CO2 emissions, and water use (normalized to revenue) compared to 2009.
- Launch of a Global Print Policy that is expected to yield $6.5 million in annual savings when completed in 2011.
Medtronic is a global leader in medical technology. The company employs 40,000 people and markets its products in 120 countries. It has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for North America since 2008 and was named to Corporate Responsibility magazine’s 2010 100 Best Corporate Citizens List.
A summary report is also available for download at http://www.reportalert.info/ra/profiles/Medtronic/2010/?ID=32954