Life Technologies (NASDAQ: LIFE) Publishes 2011 Sustainability Achievements
Life Technologies released its 2011 sustainability progress via a web-based report. This reporting format, a new direction for the company, is intended to drive a more dynamic dialog with stakeholders by providing up to date milestones and data. Life Technologies expanded data reporting to Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Level B.
· Introduced Ion Torrent™ Personal Genome Machine™, semiconductor DNA sequencing technology that holds promise to expedite the discovery of genetic markers within organisms and leverage them to generate alternative fuels, produce drought-resistant and higher-yielding food crops, desalinate water, and bioremediate pollution.
· Launched CytoTune™, allowing researchers to conduct research with stem cells without the need to use human embryos.
· Partnered with scientists and researchers to help identify the bacterial culprit in the 2011 German E. colioutbreak.
Revolutionizing the value chain
· Made significant progress against 2008-2012 goal to reduce the company’s environmental footprint by 25%: cut CO2 emissions by 16%, energy consumption by 20%, water usage by 43%, hazardous waste by 41%, relative to sales.
· Donated time, talent, and resources in all communities where employees work and live, including 40,000+ volunteer hours.
Life Technologies Corporation is a global biotechnology company with customers in more than 160 countries using its innovative solutions to solve some of today's most difficult scientific challenges. Quality and innovation are accessible to every lab with its reliable and easy-to-use solutions spanning the biological spectrum with more than 50,000 products for agricultural biotechnology, translational research, molecular medicine and diagnostics, stem cell-based therapies, forensics, food safety and animal health. Its systems, reagents and consumables represent some of the most cited brands in scientific research including: Ion Torrent ™, Applied Biosystems®, Invitrogen™, GIBCO®, Ambion®, Molecular Probes®, Novex®, and TaqMan®. Life Technologies employs approximately 10,400 people and upholds its ongoing commitment to innovation with more than 4,000 patents and exclusive! licenses. LIFE had sales of $3.7 billion in 2011. Visit us at our website: www.lifetechnologies.com.