Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) has been defined in a variety of ways and plenty has certainly been said about the topic over the years. Any famous corporate social responsibility quotes that you would add to the list below?
"Companies with their eye on their 'triple-bottom-line' outperform their less fastidious peers on the stock market" -- The Economist
“It is not good enough to do what the law says. We need to be in the forefront of these [social responsibility] issues.” - Anders Dahlvig, CEO of IKEA, quoted in Financial Times
“People are going to want, and be able, to find out about the citizenship of a brand, whether it is doing the right things socially, economically and environmentally.” - Mike Clasper President of Business Development, Proctor and Gamble (Europe)
GBSense.com recently pulled together the following "12 (CSR) quotes to help build your argument".
1. If you can shift your thinking away from merely selling and into building trust instead, even if it costs you a few bucks in profit, you’ll begin to see opportunities you never imagined once you understand what it means to ‘wow’ that customer by giving them more than they expected! – Chris Zane, Business Owner and Author.
2. In a truly great company profits and cash flow become like blood and water to a healthy body: They are absolutely essential for life but they are not the very point of life – Jim Collins, Author “Good to Great”.
3. It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently – Winston Churchill
4. Goodness is the only investment that never fails – Henry David Thoreau, American writer.
5. Creating a strong business and building a better world are not conflicting goals – they are both essential ingredients for long-term success – William Clay Ford Jr. Executive Chairman, Ford Motor Company.
6. In the next decade, the most successful companies will be those that integrate sustainability into their core businesses – Jim Owens, CEO Caterpillar
7. To build and sustain brands people love and trust, one must focus—not only on today but also on tomorrow. It’s not easy…but balancing the short and long term is key to delivering sustainable, profitable growth—growth that is good for our shareholders but also good for our consumers, our employees, our business partners, the communities where we live and work, and the planet we inhabit – Irene B. Rosenfeld, CEO Kraft
8. Corporate Social Responsibility is a hard-edged business decision. Not because it is a nice thing to do or because people are forcing us to do it because it is good for our business – Niall Fitzerald, Former CEO, Unilever
9. We know that the profitable growth of our company depends on the economic, environmental, and social sustainability of our communities across the world. And we know it is in our best interests to contribute to the sustainability of those communities –Travis Engen, CEO, Alcan
10. Where sustainability works best is where an organization’s leadership gets it and wants it to happen and enables it to happen – so everyone from the person who sweeps the floor to the finance director feels part of that conversation – Will Day, Chairman, Sustainable Development Commission (2010)
11. The business of business should not be about money. It should be about responsibility. It should be about public good, not private greed – Anita Roddick, Founder, Body Shop
12. Ethics is the new competitive environment – Peter Robinson, CEO Mountain Equipment Co-op