Development Crossing

Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Sustainability

 Bamboo can offer innumerable opportunities for environmental improvement by sequestration of carbon (absorb up to 12 tones/ha), lowering light intensity and offering protection against ultraviolet rays, yielding 35% more oxygen than equivalent stand of trees and working as a natural environmental cleansing system
 Bamboo is the fastest growing canopy for the re-greening of degraded areas.
 It holds 100 tones of water per hectares.
 Because of its critical element in the balance of oxygen/carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, bamboo acts as an atmospheric and soil purifier.
 Bamboo can be a substitute for wood-base fiber in the future. It can substitute wood in nearly all its uses and can help avoid future shortages and hardships cuased by deforestation.
 Bamboo is an exquisite component of landscape design. Its anti-erosion properties create an effective watershed, forming a kind of soil bundle along river banks (binds up to 6m3 of soil), deforested areas and in places prone to earthquake and land slides.

Collected by Belete B. (Pictures taken by Me)
(Annonymus)

Views: 249

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not an expert in this area, but this sounds to me like another biofuel / corn story. At first everybody says no negatives or only very limited and in the end it actually is not a good substitution after learning all the "other consequences". Could you give us some insight on the negatives, kind of plus and minus?
I can't think of many downsides actually. Other than the environmental benefits listed above, it's also a ridiculously strong material which has a variety of uses.
Please be patient, I will subsequently bring in more about the miraculous environmentally friendly plant bamboo which has over 1,500 uses, and you will be impressed. Have you ever heard, one of the largest Desert, Sahara blocked from expanding to the south east because of what we called Lowland Bamboo (Oxytenanthera abyssinica), it is called a Green Belt?

Negatives about bamboo, it is delicious for the termites, apes, and human being because of its highest starch content during its early age. So please treat it (physically or chemically) before you use it especially for construction purpose.

Belete B.
Regarding the Energy, please enjoy on the following facts:

Bamboo and Energy
Bamboo bio-mass is a potential alternative source for bio-energy and opportunity to pioneer another industrial usage through gasification to produce electricity. As it have very favorable characteristics for gasification and the synthesis of gasoline and diesel. Bamboo has a number of desirable fuel characteristics such as low ash content and alkali index. Its heating value is higher than most agricultural residues, grasses and straw. Besides, bamboos have high biomass productivity, self-regeneration, sustainable basis and environmental friendly functions. This means for developing countries like Ethiopia (which hosts over 1 million hectares of bamboo representing the largest bamboo source in Africa, accounting 67% of the African bamboo resources, and about 7% of the world total) can exploit their untapped bio-fuel potential from bamboo fully and effectively to propel their economy hence defeating poverty and achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) before long.

Belete B.
Hello Belete, very interesting stats. Are you actually working on any projects involving Bamboo? I would be interested to post it under blog section.
Thanks Aimo
Bamboo is awesome! And you can make material for clothes etc out of it too.
Clothing? Seriously? that's great, any examles of companies that do that? I know of hemp products, etc. but didn't know you could make clothes from bamboo too.
I would like to know the distribution map for bamboo. Can it be planted everywhere? Sustainable development; is it easy to accept planting a tree that has no fruit production and waiting a long period to grow so we can cut it? As far as i know, only trunk can offer an acceptable quantity of wood. This would lead to implement a potential forest so that we deforest it later on. I would be very interested to see more elaboration of the strategy.
Dear Aimo and others,

My project web is www.eabp.org.et

Regarding the bamboo clothes, it is really wonderful. I myself have it, a bit expensive. Please read the following collections from different sources and look in to the pictures taken by me and others. (The link of the factory I visited is www.chinabamboofiber.com.cn, I will correct it later if it is error.

Any way please enjoy with the following link and text below. It is true.

Bamboo and the Fashion world
from the link: www.articlesbase.com/article-tags/bamboo-fashion, www.ecofashionworld.com/Glossary/Bamboo-Fabric.html and others

•The fashion world is constantly seeking and latching into new materials. The folk fashions crave spurred demand for natural, handmade-looking textiles that exude warmth, while synthetic fabrics with a sleek look have also recently been popular. Bamboo is one of the materials used to make such hot fabrics.
•The merits of bamboo for use in textile fibers are their breatheability (ideal for humid summers), the ease of processing them into fabric, their high functionality and their beauty. The fashion world is becoming more and more fascinated with all things oriental and bamboo is attracting the interest of a growing number of designers. With time, it is expected that more of this material will find its way in stores.
•Characterized by its good hygroscopic, excellent permeability, soft feel, easiness to straighten and dye and splendid color, bamboo fiber fabric is made of 100% bamboo pulp fiber. It is also a new environment friendly raw material that enjoys a splendid prospect for application as its predecessor wood pulp fiber.
•Towel and bathrobes made of bamboo fiber have a soft and comfortable feel and a special luster. It is highly absorptive to water and is also sparkling and beautiful when dyed. Bamboo foot mats are also popular for their health benefits as they do not provide a suitable medium for bacteria to breed.
•Bamboo fabrics need fewer dyestuffs than cotton, modal or viscose. It seems that the absorption of dyestuffs is remarkably better. Bamboo absorbs the dye stuffs faster and shows the colors better.
•Bamboo is considered as a much superior fiber and playing in a category of its own.

Collected by
Belete B.
Attachments:
However I love bamboo very much, I would not like to see it grow everywhere on our earth. It may be a temporary intermediair in areas hit by catastrophes, till indigeneous flora has been recovered. I think reliable international control of all factors -from pollution to cutting forests without afforesting- should be the solution against the extinction of our forests.
With kind regards, gerard.o.h..
Dear Gerard O.H.,

It is true, it should not grow everywhere, but you see the problem we are facing today everywhere is difforestation, land degradation, errosion, "some experts, in my country says", the problem i am saying is "a crtical threat to the world more than HIV/AIDS". In that sense, what if, we promote it wherever land degradation is an alarming challenge, as long has it has no invasive nuture, solving problem of everything we need, food, shelter, clothes, medicine, luxerious things?, wait! did you see this poem, (source, anonymous):

Bamboo Central to Life

One can live in a bamboo house,
Sit in a bamboo chair,
Eat bamboo shoot, rich in vitamins,
Prepared in bamboo containers,
One can use bamboo mats for flooring, beds, and covers,
His shoes would have been made from bamboo,
His hat woven from split bamboo,
His livestock would have been in bamboo cages,
Pens and a bamboo fence enclosing his yard
Dancing from the hot music sound from bamboo flutes,
Panpipes, saxophones, didgeridoos, xylophones, marimbas, whistles, pipe organs

from http://www.trekearth.com

Belete B.
To all in the Bamboo discussion,

In south america we have more than 100 species relatives to bamboo, one of them is the Guadua (Guadua angustifolia), that is very alike the bamboos (same familie: Poaceas).

In Colombia, we use it, in more than 500 forms, our peasants, are very skill in construction and in other uses, just like the asian people with bamboo.

We are using it for restoration of lands, and we are just beginning to formulate climate change projects, with the use of guadua. as a fast and efective specie for carbon capture (second grow).

The use of this specie, amoung very others, in restoration of landscape and ecological structure, are part of the environmental work in various countries in south america.

And is very promising.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Development Crossing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service